Modern Version of the Iconic Yamaha BB Bass
This BB434 4-string electric bass guitar puts all the legendary BB bass attributes into a clear-sounding passive design that is both inspiring and affordable. Whether you're a beginner or a seasoned player, you'll love the neck's thinner profile and the way the bass stays balanced thanks to its lightweight tuning machines. And modern appointments such as the sustain-enhancing 6-bolt miter neck joint and convertible bridge ensure you get the absolute most from your bass. If you want a modern and affordable take on the BB bass, the BB434 4-string is for you.
The BB bass legacy
When the first Yamaha BB basses rolled off the line in the late '70s, the bass world quickly took notice. A diverse array of high-caliber players took to these unique instruments, such as Van Halen's Michael Anthony, No Doubt's Tony Kanal, and legendary session ace Abraham Laboriel Sr. Their comfortably contoured bodies, clear-as-a-bell electronics, and immediately identifiable look keep these basses at the forefront of many different genres. The Yamaha BB434 is among the latest additions to this storied line of lauded instruments.
Familiar construction with modern twists
What truly sets Yamaha's BB basses apart from other basses are their comfortable and familiar contours. Carefully crafted from balanced-sounding alder, the BB434 4-string boasts that same identifiable character. Its rounded edges and forearm and belly cuts seem to melt into your body while playing. The bass's 5-piece maple and mahogany bolt-on neck sings with a new level of punch and sustain, thanks to its 6-bolt miter design. And its slightly thinner profile is a welcome addition to a more modern style of players.
Flexible and easy-to-use electronics
Whether you're a session player or a specialist, you know the benefits of a P/J pickup combination. The pickups in this BB434 4-string are Yamaha's present-sounding YGD Custom V5 Alnico V single-coil design. Dial in more of the neck pickup for that all-important P-style growl. And nail punchy fingerstyle tones with the bridge pickup — a favorite for many bassists. The BB434's passive volume/volume/tone control layout couldn't be easier to dial in.
Yamaha BB434 4-string Bass Features:
- Straightforward version of a sweeclassic bass
- Modern appointments such as lightweight tuners for better balance
- Alder body offers a clear tone with plenty of punch
- Passive YGD Custom V5 Alnico V P/J pickup setup is versatile and intuitive
- 5-piece maple and mahogany bolt-on neck is incredibly stable
- The neck's 6-bolt miter neck joint ensures the bass sings with clarity and sustain
- Simple to use volume/volume/tone control layout
- Thinner neck profile for a more modern feel
- Number of Strings:4
- Body Shape:Yamaha BB Doublecut
- Body Material:Solid Alder
- Body Finish:Gloss Polyurethane
- Neck Material:5-piece Maple/Mahogany
- Neck Shape:Thinner BB neck profile
- Fingerboard Material:Maple
- Fingerboard Inlay:Dots
- Number of Frets:21, Medium
- Scale Length:34"
- Nut Width:1.57"
- Nut Material:GraphTech NuBone
- Bridge/Tailpiece:Vintage Plus Light convertible bridge, steel saddles
- Tuners:Light weight, open-gear
- Neck Pickup:VSP5n Alnico V Split Single-coil
- Bridge Pickup:VSC5b Alnico V Single-coil
- Controls:2 x volume, 1 x master tone
- Strings:D'Addario EXL 45-100
- Manufacturer Part Number:BB434M BL