The JD-800 Is Back and Better Than Ever
The Roland JD-08 Boutique Series sound module delivers the authentic sound of the venerable JD-800, a synth beloved by producers for its ability to craft epic layered sounds. All 64 original presets are included (even that Wailing Guitar), plus 21 new presets to showcase the JD-08’s modern potential. Just like the original, the JD-08 offers four sound layers you can combine however you see fit, making it perfect for crafting punchy basses, complex leads, and evocative pads. In all, you have 108 original JD-800 waveforms, seven effects types, and a 2-part 64-step polyphonic sequencer to bring your creativity to life. Whether you’re looking for authentic ’90s sounds or a powerful synth to create your new signature sound, you’ll sure to meet your match with the Roland JD-08 Boutique Series sound module.
Craft epic 4-layer patches
The JD-08 module’s 4-part voice structure is perfect for producing complex layered patches. Synthesists at Sweetwater like using each layer to contribute a distinct element to the sound, as opposed to simply layering oscillators and detuning them for a bigger sound. You can create the attack character of your patch using one layer, then add a sonically distinct layer that blooms as it reaches its sustain and release stages, for example. The creative potential is vast once you factor in the JD-08’s innovative envelopes, which empower you to create sounds that develop over time.
2-part multitimbral sequencer and onboard arpeggiator
While the JD-08’s layered sounds are perfect for live performance, there’s a ton of power in its 2-part polyphonic step sequencer too. Motion recording allows you to record complex parameter movements along with your patterns. A random pattern generator is ready to provide instant inspiration. And with storage for up to 128 patterns, you have plenty of room to save inspired chord progressions, bass lines, and leads.
Powerful portable music production
Because the JD-08 module can be powered with four AA batteries, and it has a built-in speaker, you can sketch out song ideas anywhere. You’ll also appreciate the JD-08’s robust construction — its tough metal panels and metal-shafted sliders feel great and stand up to the rigors of the road. You can also pair the JD-08 with Roland’s K-25m Boutique Series keyboard unit (sold separately) for 25-key, velocity-sensitive playability.
Roland JD-08 Boutique Series Sound Module Features:
- Re-creation of the classic JD-800 synthesizer
- Includes all 108 original waveforms and all 64 original factory patches, plus 21 new presets
- 4-part tone layering encourages complex sound design techniques
- 2-part, 64-step polyphonic sequencer allows you to save up to 128 original patterns
- Random pattern generator provides instant inspiration
- Motion recorder allows you to capture complex parameter changes in your patterns
- Onboard arpeggiator
- Dual LFOs with Saw, Triangle, Square, Random, and Noise waveforms
- Filter section offers LPF, BPF, and HPF modes
- Huge effects potential with 2-stage multi-effects section and distortion, phaser, spectrum, enhancer, delay, chorus, and reverb
- Multi-phase time-variant envelopes encourage complex, evolving sounds
- Palette sliders for fast parameter tweaks to any sound layer
- USB-C audio/MIDI interface, full-size MIDI I/O, and external clock input
- Powered via 4 AA batteries or USB
- Built-in mini speaker — no amp or headphones required
- Tough metal panels and robust metal-shafted sliders
- Compatible with the optional DK-01 Boutique Dock and K-25m keyboard dock (sold separately)